새해니까 뭔가 쓰고 싶어서
새해에는 뭔가 더, 내가 그동안 생각해왔던 것들, 과감하게 시작하고 꾸준히 해봐야지… 했지만
누군가에게 나의 계획을 말씀드려서 조언을 구하고 싶다.
Cuz I want to confirm that it’s a decent plan?
Or maybe to learn about a better way to do what I wanted to do?
응, 그래서 그런 거 같다.
조언을 구하지 않고도 시작해버리면, 뭐가 안 좋은가?
If I later decide that it’s not worth my time.
That I disappoint some people with the negative result.
근데 난 글을 쓰긴 하는데, 그리고 쓸때만은 그 시간이 아깝지 않은데,
글 쓰는 거 때매 해야할 다른 task들을 못하게 되면 나중에 약–간 후회한다. 글 쓰는데 너무 많이 시간 보냈다고.
그래도 이게 나에게 도움이 되는 것일까?
Maybe I need a responsibility to do some kind of writing consistently, and with a specific audience in mind. Maybe that’ll be a good way to train myself. But doing it like this– just rambling on and on without any specific style or guideline that I need to follow, it really may be not that worthwhile for me, for the time being.
- Maurice Friedman – discussed notion of “community”
- By the way, Dr. Choi is publishing a book on community soon!
- We have to stop making communities an abstraction. Don’t study communities as an abstract thing.
- Just as people who get into relationships are making a commitment to each other, communities should work in the same manner.
Modern liberal individualism:
- an impersonal way to see the world but this is the dominant view right now!
- Communities of affinity – similarities (But a real community should be one of differences and diversity…!)
- Treats society as free floating atoms that just bump into each other. (and school systems help to reproduce this kind of society. Making a sorting system!)
3 types of leader:
- traditional (divine right) – irrational
- rational – legal (in the modern era, “legitimized authority”)
- French Revolution was one of the renowned peasant revolution
With theories, we’re always making maneuvers. Leaning techniques is not the only education.
Consistency & validity – just because something is consistent, doesn’t mean it’s valid.
Bureaucracy: a way for us to justify and legitimize. and the reason that we’ve exchanged our humanity with it!
By the way: Hobbes said humans are evil by nature!
Good / Evil –> the idea that Good = good, evil = evil, therefore good does not = evil (the Western tradition has always run on this idea)
- Society = good, individuals = profane
- Then to go to heaven, we have to repress our humanness… gotta become anti-human to go to heaven!
Dr. Choi’s quotes:
- We’ve just met, but we’ve always known each other. (meaning, because humans influence each other, you know each other even though you haven’t physically met each other before)
- Reification – giving something a life of its own
Dr. Choi’s story:
- he changed majors 4 times! first mechanical engineering, then forestry, then business & law, then sociology… in the last semester of his senior year!
Poor versus poverty… ideology and hegemony
Dr. Choi’s father – 서라벌 대학교 교수님이셨다고?
John Murphy – Dr. Choi’s mentor
As long as our society believes in dualism, we will always have discrimination and oppression.
So… the marginalization of gays, women, minorities… is all due to the same mechanism.
It is important to know the historical and philosophical roots of sociological ideas. For any academic field!
- Reiman’s Rich get richer, poor go to prison
- Donald Palmer’s Looking at philosophy (animated book) a great book for learning about different philosophies easily!
Thaelis claimed that everything is made of water = essentialism.
- and this notion is still used to describe a certain category of human.
Considering society as a tree with deep roots… so it cannot move… so perhaps bamboo is better?!
Society should be given a different imagery. Not body. Not machine.
A new class in my 3rd semester of applied linguistics at SDSU
ESP stands for
English for Specific Purposes
특수 목적용 영어
The Korean word in this pretty book at anthropologie
How about words like
Disclaimer. It’s actually not gluten free. Sad, I know. It’s due to the little bit of barley they use for fermentation.
(Their castellas have butter though!)
Okay- I’ve got nuff to survive the week. (Yea right, Imma kill the whole bag in a few days)
여기 만드신 분 존경합니다! 감사합니다!
Wae-gye-in bang-aht-gan “alien bakery” 외계인방앗간 near 신사역
Vegan bakery dairy free