Google search led me to these videos! These students are great–they are learning Arabic in Korea. Inspiring!
– 295 million users of the Arabic language as of 2010
– it belongs in the language family of: Afro-Asiatic–> semitic–> central semitic–> Arabic
– it is the standard language in 27 states, the 3rd most after English and French
– some of the spoken varieties are mutually unintelligible, both written and orally.
– if all varieties are considered separate, the variety with the most number of users is the Egyptian Arabic, with 54 million speakers.
– in the US, Arabic is the 25th most spoken language
– modern written language is derived from Quran, the liturgical language of Islam
– Arabic is written in abjad script, right to left.
For 2013 I decided that I will learn one language in each month! I hope that even if I don’t get to learn a whole lot about the language, I will at least learn a little bit about the linguistic background, pronunciation characteristics, interesting facts, slangs… just tidbits yet important aspects that the language reflects.
For my first language, I decided to tackle Arabic!
Today’s word of the day:
Salam! = hello
Shokran = thank you
mah salam = good bye
kheer = good